Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Day in the Life of a Retailer During the Holidays: Day Ten

(Can ya'll tell my blogging is becoming a little less consistent?  The days are getting longer as we get closer to Christmas.  I wrote this last night at 11:30 p.m., but I forgot to hit "publish"!  Sorry!)

The cool air brought a sense of urgency with it!!!  (Monday, the high was 74 degrees; Tuesday, the high was 49 degrees!)

Every person that walked in the store yesterday seemed to realize...all of a sudden...Christmas is just two weeks away!  So far in November and the first two weeks of December, we've rung up 700 tickets.  And historically, during the last two weeks leading up to Christmas, we'll double that number of tickets.

When I think about the amount of volume - the amount of people we will help - in the coming weeks, I can get overwhelmed.  But then I remind myself: just take care of one customer at a time.  Remembering that always calms my anxious heart.

We wrap every gift from the day's sales and place every order before we leave each night.  That way, every morning, we start anew, which reminds me of one of my favorite scriptures from Lamentations:

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases.  His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning."  Lamentations 3:22

Thanks be to God for energy and joy to start anew tomorrow!

Tomorrow I'll tell you about a little visitor!
Night, night....